Thursday, February 28, 2019

Crate Diving: Episode 3 | Palisades - Erase The Pain





Despite listening to a heavy amount of rock music as a teen I should come clean about not really being involved with this corner of the genre until recently. I had a passing awareness of the quote-unquote screamo stuff. It was fine, but I never really spent so much time listening that I could call it formative in any way.

After all, most of what I listened to at that point was Hip-Hop and EDM. When I did listen to rock music, it fell into one of a few columns: the abstract stuff (Gorillaz), the punk stuff (Bouncing Souls), or just metal (Sevendust). There was a fair bit of alt-rock I frequented as well, but by that point, even then, the line between “Yacht Rock” and pop music had been sorta erased, so I won’t count that.
Now I have newfound time to go down a curated list of acts a younger me might not have even thought to give a listen. On that list was this group from New Jersey known as Palisades.


I picked their latest project Erase The Pain not for any particular reason other than it was their latest one and I wanted to see what the evolution was from their first studio album to their fourth. A lot can happen in seven years.

It’s probably expected, but the jump from their self-titled effort to this one is a bit smaller than that from their debut, Outcasts, to now. One common thread I spot is the clear punk influence. Power chords everywhere, which is usually good news. Erase The Pain was a bit different and to explain why, I’ll need a short sidebar back to the self-titled cut.


What sticks out to me about the 2017 album is how it incrementally drifted toward the pop end of the pop-punk spectrum. More digital instrumentation; synthesized harmonization; more melodic guitar voicing. My thoughts on music are a lot less organized than my thoughts on movies. I have difficulty putting it into words other than to say that the self-titled album has a very polished production. The focus seemed to be on making cool melodies that were colorful and danceable. I like good melodies more than just about any other element of composition, so I tend to mark the self-titled LP as their best.

Erase The Pain drifts back to the rock end of the spectrum. Lots of big chords on this record with most of the melodies and counter-lines being picked up by the vocals and lead guitar. There are some metalcore elements, as well, but the instrumentals toe the line from one genre to the next. “War” in particular stands out to me as a song that echoes early-stage Linkin Park, with heavy effects in the vocal track. Even “Fade” sounds like late-stage Linkin Park with its piano-driven melody and slow-build verses. This is meant as props, by the way. Linkin Park is one of those bands I spent a lot of time listening to. Minutes to Midnight especially.


This LP uses a writing method that I assume I’m only noticing now that I’m paying more attention to composition. A song will use the first five seconds or so to introduce the main riff motif, then drop it to build the verse; when it’s time for the chorus, the riff will either be brought back as the primary element, or it will be taken by the lead guitar while a separate progression is played. I noticed this in Breaking Benjamin’s latest, Ember, and I think it’s a slick little notation for these kinds of tunes. You could call it foreshadowing in a way. There’s also the track “Patient” which spends the first third or so setting up the melody and chord tones only. The full band joins in at about halfway so that both guitar parts can power chord their way through the progression that’s already been established. Pretty clean writing.


I like this record and this band. I didn’t love every song like on the self-titled album but Erase The Pain does have some winners on it. Palisades has a sound that works for them. Catchy tunes that don’t lose their kick. I’m not picky with my musical palette. This is really the only thing I ask for. They supplied that so I look forward to their next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment