Saturday, April 4, 2015

Crossing the Finish Line | A Look Back at the Basketball Career of Steve Nash

And What a Career it Was

Who would've thought it. Coming from one of the more un-basketball backgrounds – coming to us from the Canadian province of British Columbia by way of Johannesburg – a young Steve Nash was drafted No. 15 overall by the Phoenix Suns in the 1996 NBA Draft. The rest, of course, was to become NBA history and would span almost two decades. Players and colleagues alike have already offered their own memories and reflections; now, I humbly offer my own as fan of both the League and the player.

I haven't played serious competitive basketball in some time, but when I did I was a point guard. I knew from the start that's what I was. They taught us about posting up in camp and they saw fit to give us a refresher the following week at practice. I had completely forgotten this lesson because even subconsciously before I knew exactly what point guards were supposed to do, I knew that posting up power forwards was not something they would have much success in doing. It should also be said that Allen Iverson is my basketball hero. Before I saw him play, I figured that a guy my size wouldn't really stand much of a chance in a game dominated by bigger, faster players. He was the first to show me that it was even possible. But after I learned it was possible, credit Steve Nash for showing me just how far I could take it.

At a time in the National Basketball Association when highlight reels were dominated by men who played above the rim – a young King James had hardly begun his reign – Steve came into his own with his own play style. At a time when scoring was never more “in”, a man who made it cool to pass the ball. Imagine, if you will. A guard winning the MVP award. Being named the best in basketball. Twice? In a row? And not just a guard, a point guard. Whose job it is not only to find offense for themselves but, more importantly, create opportunities for their teammates.

It was as if my entire sporting existence had been validated. Because no matter how many dozens of people were in the stands yelling at me to take whatever shot may or may not have been open, my first instinct on the court was to find the teammate closest to the basket. “If you are open, I will find you,” I said and I meant every word. And I'm not the only one.


That's a tweet from current best PG in the world, Stephen Curry. He's the leader of the new school of the current crop of 1-men who have elevated the game to levels that have never before been seen. He's one of many players that have been similarly influenced by Nash. And it's not just the little guys, either. This article from Pro Basketball Talk collects tweets and tributes from players of all positions, nationalities, levels and backgrounds.

Every professional in every field inspires at least one person who plans to pursue that path. Here is a man who inspired a whole generation of players to approach the game as he did. For the next 10-15 years the guards of the League will be playing at this high level, mostly because they grew up watching one guy. It's the ultimate compliment to have peers and colleagues regard you in the same way that fans do. So where does that leave him among the greats?

If not one of the Top 5 Point Guards in the history of the game he is without question one of the best foreign-born players at any position. To succeed in the NBA is to be at the top of the mountain. Steve Nash was a 2-time, back-to-back MVP so one could argue – if only for a time – that he was the king of that mountain.

The Best Player in the World

And at this point, maybe the best player without a World Title. I'm not sad really, just a bit disappointed on how it all ended for him.


Thinking about what was, 

what could've been, 

and what came to be.


I tried to keep this relatively short, not because any less appreciate or thankful of all the time that was put in to make it all work. I just feel like, at this point there isn't much more to say. The laurels speak for themselves and at the risk of heaping too much praise on one guy I'll stop short to say thank you. Thank you to Steve Nash. Thank you NBA for giving him and players like him a chance to thrive on the big stage. It was a supreme honor and privilege to watch you play all these years and watching the many players who learned under you carry on the movement will be just as rewarding. And with whatever venture you approach next, may it be equally as successful and rewarding. Be well.

~KDG

No comments:

Post a Comment